Pages

Thursday, February 7, 2013

Day Seven - Booktalks and PowerPoints

Tuesday was a very busy day in the Media Center.  I worked with a small group of 5th graders and introduced them to PowerPoint.  They are preparing presentations related to life in the 1920s.  Each group has a different topic and will include images and important elements in their PowerPoints.  I enjoyed working with the students and seeing how quickly they caught on.

The South Carolina Book Awards display is complete - voting begins next week!  Lee Anne shared some more of the SC Book Award Picture Book nominated titles with students.

Lee Anne suggested that I create a brochure for teachers explaining graphic novels as a format and why typical reading level measures don't really apply to graphic novels.  Students love to read these and the strong visuals really tie in with the Pine Street's arts infusion focus.  I could see student created comic book/graphic novels as an extension of their readings.

As I planned for my in-service presentation scheduled for Thursday, Lee Anne gave me valuable advice about how to present.  I like to be as prepared as possible before making presentations.  When you know your subject well, it is much easier to respond to questions and feel more at ease.

I did a booktalk for a group of 3rd graders on 3 of the Picture Book Award nominees:  The Watcher, Stand Straight Ella Kate, and In the Garden with Dr. Carver.  The students brought valuable background knowledge and were somewhat familiar with Jane Goodall and George Washington Carver.  Their favorite book was Stand Straight Ella Kate about a real-life giant, Ella Kate Ewing.  She grew to be 8'4".  Lee Anne put a piece of tape on a column to show how tall Ella Kate was.  The kids were amazed!  I loved seeing the students hurry to check out the titles after my booktalks - gratifying.

Lee Anne asked me to prepare a short presentation on Copyright for the Tech Know Club.  They were a little revved this week, but I think they took in some of the concepts of Copyright and the importance of attribution.

No comments:

Post a Comment