Pages

Monday, October 1, 2012

Worlds Colliding

Increasingly this semester, my graduate coursework is beginning to overlap in terms of subject matter and relevance.  This week the lecture and readings for SLIS 742 are all focused on the school librarian's role in promoting reading and "alternatives to readicide" which is, of course, the subject of my research for 705 and the main topic of this blog.  I feel like this is an episode of Seinfeld, except, unlike George, I welcome the collision of "worlds" and am excited to learn of more resources, research, and reading leaders that can guide me on my path.

I came away from the lecture and readings more convinced than ever that school librarians must be advocates for students and do all we can to help each reader find "their" book.  School librarians must speak out and promote positive reading programs and practices rather than watch silently while students' personal reading preferences are brushed aside.  Silence is a formula for killing the love of reading, not encouraging, fostering, inspiring it.  

Added to my reading list:  The Power of Reading and Free Voluntary Reading both by Stephen Krashen.

1 comment:

  1. I really, really, really like that you are seeing connections between classes! Nice when worlds collide and you haven't lost anything.

    ReplyDelete